10 March 2021
In the March edition of The ShoutNZ, NZABC’s Executive Director Bridget MacDonald discusses the recent announcement of the continued commitment of Speights sponsoring the Highlanders Super Rugby team drawing outrage from Alcohol Healthwatch, a government-funded anti-alcohol lobby group. Lion’s Speights brand has been supporting the team for 25 years.
Sponsorship is about creating brand awareness and brand preferences. Despite advertising spending by the industry increasing over the past few years, we’ve actually seen a downward trend in alcohol consumption.
The alcohol industry is highly regulated in New Zealand and recent research shows most New Zealanders are actually quite comfortable with alcohol advertising and sponsorship. Find out more in The Shout’s March edition: https://issuu.com/theintermediagroup/docs/the_shout_nz_march_2021/6
Need more information?
• Check out cheers.org.nz and alcoholandme.org.nz for more information on what a standard drink is and how to make better drinking decisions.
• Ministry of Health/HPA Guidelines: Low-risk alcohol drinking advice to reduce your long-term health risks by drinking no more than:
– Two standard drinks a day for women and no more than 10 standard drinks a week,
– Three standard drinks a day for men and no more than 15 standard drinks a week,
– AND have at least two alcohol-free days every week.
Call the Alcohol Drug Helpline on 0800 787 797, free txt 8681, or visit alcoholdrughelp.org.nz.